Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Working Steps

The RV steps are back in working order finally and I didn't have to buy a new controller, or a set of new steps.  I ordered the parts needed and manufactured a pigtail test connector for the steps just so I could go through the steps (pun intended) of testing out the controller.  I got enough parts to assemble two complete male and female ends of the connector for about half the cost of a one sided OEM connector.  Now I can put them in my stash, just in case! While testing, I even wired the door operated reed switch in series with it so I could test it at the same time.  In the process, I reran the reed switch signal wire back through the connector like it should be.  That also made the wiring nest look a little neater!  It have been bypassed  at the factory.  A few years ago I had to rewire everything because things were just not working as they should and one of the results was a ratty looking wiring nest.

Anyway, went through all of the procedures to test and made sure everything was working properly.  In the end it was most likely a case of corroded wiring and/or grounding connections.

It was near noon and pretty hot at he RV and I thought I would wait until the sun moved some more so I could work in the shade.  Then I though, I just fixed the awning a few months ago and it is just where I will need the shade, I'll just use that, and it worked great!

I had also ordered a DPDT 30 amp switch, just in case, as we are leaving for higher elevations in a few days.  Won't be needing that, hopefully not this time out anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment