Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Something always breaks!

Seems like every time I fix something, something else breaks!

The other day I reworked the sun screens I had made for the RV windows.  They work great at keeping the inside temperatures down on hot sunny days.   When I made them I used the the "snap" type fasteners and they were coming apart.  Just not heavy duty enough, or my tools didn't do a good job.  I had ordered the "twist lock" type and had replaced a couple of them before.  The other day I just decided to replace all of them and get the screens installed for the hot weather we are having.  They worked very well and the inside stays several degrees cooler with them on.

This week I had a few project planned an Monday was going well.  M mentioned that her bathroom sink faucet was leaking and could I check it out.  No problem, I found the cartridge in the cold water side was the problem.  Could I fix it?  Probably not, besides, I had an extra one that was sent by the factory for the same problem in the kitchen.  So I replace it and everything was fine.

The RV screen door screen has been in pretty bad shape for a while, but it got worse the last time out.  I did a little research and that the Home Depot had the new Phifer "pet resistant" screen so I had picked some up, along with the tools needed to install it.  It installed without much trouble and it looks great, much heavier and darker han before and I think it will work out very well.

It would have been way too much trouble to remove the door for the installation so I installed it with  the door in place.  I needed to get the ladder in front of the door, with the steps retracted, so I just blocked the steps from extending when I opened the door.  Seemed like a good plan, that is how steps the steps work, they stop if they are blocked during the extension process.  All went as planned until I finished the screen and closed and opened the door  to let the steps extend... nothing!  OK, they do that sometimes, but this time they will not move.  I try a few more things with no luck.  I hot wired the motor and it worked... once!   OK, I have an old motor from working on the steps before, I'll just try it.  It didn't work either.  Then I think of the fuse and sure enough it had blown when testing the motor the first time.  I replaced the 15A fuse with a 20A one an the motor is working fine now.  Next, I test the door switch with no results.  I think I burned out the step controller...  $175! 

So, I have a test connector on order for further test, also a 30A DPDT momentary switch that will operate the steps in manual mode just in case.  We are planning a trip in the next week or so and the switch will get us on our way and I can work on the steps when we return.

The fun never stops!

H






No comments:

Post a Comment