Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Friday, June 12, 2015

First, you have to fix something!

Vent cover breaking apart.
Continuing to work on the RV.

The last time I was on the roof I noticed that the refrigerator vent cover was in pretty bad shape so last week I ordered a replacement cover.  I got it installed Yesterday morning but didn't really need a new vent screen so I set it aside.   Look like I was not too early on the job as the old one came off in multiple pieces.  The new one looks like it may last another fifteen years,





Break it more just to get it off.











Most of the pieces.



New one installed.


Looks better.




















Mower deck in shed/work shop.

I hit a rock the last time I mowed and bent one of the blades pretty bad.  I finished mowing with the bent blade not knowing that I actually had a replacement in the garage.  Today I got finally got around to replacing it.  I was going to mow over the septic tank, to only place that is really green around here.  After changing the blade and heading for the area to mow, I engaged the mower deck  and promptly killed the engine.  After trying it once more with the same results I discovered that one of the mower deck spindles locking up, likely due to a bad bearing. Removing the mower deck and examining it confirm my fears. The second spindle is a little wobbly, so I ordered two replacements. Got to keep Amazon and Ebay going.  The spindles are held in place with four 1/4" screws each and I broke off seven out of eight bolts heads.  I don't know it it's just me, or bad engineering!  Will have to see if I can find a torque spec for them!

Later, taking the spindles apart I found that they were completely dry.  How long, I don't know, but it looked like it had always been dry.  The outer bearing race was completely gone, not to mention the ball bearing inside.

Now trying to find something else with out having to fix something first!  Maybe I should get back to the Selectric Typewriter I have had for months to fix for a friend!






No comments:

Post a Comment