Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Mower is back together!

I finally got the mower parts and put it back together couple of days ago.  The bearings on one of the spindles were both shot, one of them actually torn apart and the balls missing.  The second only had a couple of missing balls, and was in pretty bad shape.  I waited for the new ones before doing  very much destructive testing and examinations.  Both were completely dry, and I am sure it was from the factory that way, and there was no means by which to inject grease into them.  The new ones have zerk fittings and I shoot about fifteen shots of grease form the grease gun into each one.

OK, it's, ready for a test run and it is quieter than It has ever been since I have had it, about four years now and I bought it used.  But wait, what is that smell...  hot rubber?  Take it back into the shed/shop and find that the belt is routed to the wrong side of two of the "U" shaped guides that keep it in place when the deck is in idle mode.  Reroute and retest and all is well.  Yesterday I decided to add grease until I see it seep out around the edges, just to make sure it has enough. Some twenty some shot of grease total in each one, that should do it.  I will also check and add more if needed at the beginning of each mowing season.

I have also been in the techie mode for a week or two.  The laptop WiFi has been acting up for quite a while and not working at all lately.  I ordered a little USB WiFi adapter and got it installed.  Now I don't have to unplug my printer and plug the Cat-5 cable into my laptop.  I just love modern technology... when it works!

Another thing was my desktop.  It has been bogging down a lot lately.  Switching between application was taking forever, and Google Chrome would take five to ten minutes to really get up to speed.  First, I suspected Windows figuring it was a natural choice for blaming.  Have I mentioned lately  how much I hate Windows!  But I digress!  Then I blamed Google Chrome, and then Adobe Lightroom.  Or maybe it was a virus!  Then I got to thinking, the way it's acting, maybe it needs more memory.  So I ordered four GBs of ram and upgraded from three GBs to six GBs,  leaving one GB on the floor for the trouble.  Wow, I did not know this thing would run this fast!  Now I am looking at Solid State Drive!  Maybe one of these days!

Mary's typewriter is back together with a new belt.  A major job with fat fingers, bifocals, and no special tools, but I did strip a screw in motor mount while adjusting it.  Maybe I can find one at Lowes.  And I'm still waiting for an adapter to test Susan's hard drive. 

It has been hot here this week, and looks the same in the ten day forecast.  Just glad I got the RV carpet in while it was still cool.

Monsoon is on the way, hope its good.  We have more grass this year than I have seen before and need some rain before we lose it!



No comments:

Post a Comment