Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Home at last, home at last!


The airport's entertainment for the night came around 0400 this morning when a few young ladies came in with suit cases about the size of a small refrigerator and started repacking them.  There is a fee for over weight luggage so they were weighing each piece on the ticket counter scales and moving articles of clothing between them to get each piece under the limit.  This would have been no big deal except that over time a gentleman with them was bringing in cart load after cart load of huge pieces of luggage.  I think they were returning home to Europe and had been here on a shopping spree.  There must have been enough luggage to fill a small delivery truck.   I did see more people join them a little later including a 'grandmother' type and a small child.

Around 0530 the airport began to stir a little and signs of life were starting to pop up.  I managed to get a breakfast sandwich and coffee and then started my check-in process.  I had to check my backpack and pay an extra $25 for the privilege.  The claim check and bag label printed out on behind the counter so I had to ask for assistance.  The lady looked at the print out and remarked "Phoenix, the hard way,  you know we have non-stop that leaves thirty minutes later!" Now she tells me!  Atlanta, to Charlotte, to Denver, to Phoenix is my plan!  Her 'Hard Way' comment made me think I should be flying through Las Vegas.  (The Denver to Phoenix  flight for the last leg of my trip actually continued on to Vegas!)

Very poor planing on my part.  I am beat and ready for Margaret to pick my up and get me home.

It is very disappointing to have to end my hike, but, I am glad to be home!

Thanks to everyone that has followed me through this adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment