Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Planes, Trains, Automobiles, and Buses


Note:  The trip home was almost as adventurous as the hike!  I left the trail on Saturday, and Sunday morning I started making arrangement to get home.  As I mentioned, my Nexus was broken so I had to use the computer in the lobby and this was no conducive to doing a lot of research on the internet.  The final itinerary was not something I am proud of, but my brain was not functioning up to full specs that day.  The next few entries will be used to relate my homeward bound adventures.


Sunday, May 05, 2013

I called Miss Janet for a shuttle to Johnson City, TN, where I could get a bus to Atlanta.  Miss Janet is on the short list of Hikers Best Friends on the trail!  However, she operates in her own world, on her own schedule, and her own way.  After she picked me up, she had others to drop of at different places and then with the remaining hikers we went by her house.

I was ready to wait in her van until she was ready to go but nothing would do but for me to come in meet everyone and hang around for a while.  I went inside and was surprised at all the familiar faces I saw.  Globug was there, Tinman, and the Hart family.  I was glad to be able to say goodbye to them in person as we had spent a lot of nights together.  There were other as well but I did not know them as well.

Then, all of the sudden, Miss Janet takes off in her van with a large contingent of the hikers there.  I knew I would never make it to Johnson City, never mind being on time! And, my backpack was still in her van and the separation anxiety was starting to get to me.  I paced and watched the driveway. It's like now that my hike is over everything should revolve around me and my schedule and less of a laid back approach to getting there that is prevalent on the trail. After all, I now have a places to be and schedules to keep!  Someone ask when my bus departed and told me not to worry, there was plenty of time.  Easy for them to say!  It is amazing how my world prospective has changed in less that twenty four hours!

Finally, after what seemed like hours, Miss Janet returned and two other hikers and  I jumped into the van and were heading out of town.  But were going the wrong way.  She is taking the two hikers to the trail head in the mountains.  Shouldn't we be going to Johnson City, after all I do have a schedule!  Eventually, we are coming back down the mountain and soon on our way to Johnson City.  We arrive with time to spare.   I have to go to the bus station and change my ticket for the following day because I don't want to have to get a room in Atlanta at midnight tonight.  Well, Miss Janet waits for me and then takes me to a Comfort Suites about a mile from the bus station.  All is well and Miss Janet has done a wonderful deed in getting me here, and on time.  Thank you, Miss Janet, you are truly a Trail Angel, and a hikers best friend!

The rest of the day is uneventful and filled with boring motel living.  I do manage to get my shirt, socks, and underwear washed in the sink, using bar soap,  and dried over the heater.    I'm not on the trail now and have to be considerate of other!


No comments:

Post a Comment