Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Hike one, day two, ... The morning after.

Up at six after a restless night with sleeping pad and bag.  A very warm night, 65*F when I got up. I had breakfast and coffee and on my way by 0800.

About  4-1/2 hours to cover the five miles of up and downs to the trial head where M would be waiting.  And  beautiful vistas in every direction the whole way.  I walked on one side of Chesler Park, would love to do the whole loop one day, just didn't have time today.  As I told M, I used the photo ops as an opportunity to rest.  It was overcast, which made for good hiking, but not for good photos.  Maybe next time.

M was waiting and we head home (RV) and the nice hot shower sure felt good.

It was a very successful training hike.  I was tired, but not overly so, and the recovery time was much less than I thought it would be.  I had the right amount of food and water.  Sure wish water had been available along the way so I would not have had carry so much, but, that the way it is.  The pack felt good, and better as it got lighter with less water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment