Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Hike two, day two. Up to the Island in the Sky!

Up at 0600. breakfast, break camp, and gone by 0800.  Was wondering if I had enough water and food to make it to the top but then I found  a little of a spring and got about half pint of water.  It was just too slow.  A while later I found a good one. The water was great, specially after the river water.  So I filled up, even replaced most of the river water, later to realize I should have replaced it all.  I was 100 times better and I needed it.

Up the wash a little longer and got to the 3.5 mile marker and had to decide which rought to take around the Upheaval Dome. I chose to go right, the shorter, steeper climb.  3.5 miles vs. 4.9 miles. That meant I was half way to the top. It was a tough climb. Literately steep stair climbing and boulder scrambling.  I had to stop and rest lots of time.  My food  was running low, just had some dried fruit and nuts to make it to the top.  I thought I had more gator aid but realized last night there was no more.  Sure could have used it today. Needed some quick energy.  Nuts just don't do that.

Long an tough climb with not a lot of scenic views.. not a do over. On the Chesler Park hike, I used the photos ops as a chance to rest, this time I used the rest stops for a chance to take a photos.  Topped the rim after two very long rest stops, taking off the BP and laying down in the shade, and a lot short ones.  Came over the rim at 1530, was planing a 1700 summit, so  was pleased with the time. M came along about 1725, a little late, but, she had made me a sandwich and brought a banana, and I had time to get a good rest.  The sandwich was much need and so was the banana. 

I had started on my last bottle of river water just as I made the top.  It felt like the sediments were resting in my stomach.  M had lots of ice water with her and that was what I needed... along with the sandwich.


All in all, a very good practice hike with an over-nite and moderately heavy backpack.  My recovery time on both overnight hikes was very short, back to normal the next day.  I now know that I can do the Appalachian Trail next year.  I do need to figure out how to handle the cold and rain for the first couple of months and then deal with the high humidity after that.  Guess I'll just have to adapt!

No comments:

Post a Comment