Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Is it too early to start drying food for next year?

I hope not!  I ordered and received a 1000 watt food dehydrator this past week.  Today I started making Jerky, (I know it too early for that, but this is practice!)  and also did some spaghetti w/meat sauce.  It has been in a few hours and not ready yet.  The beef may have been too thick.  I tried some a little bit ago and the taste was fine.

Also this week I moved the big pots that we had our herbs growing in and I dug up a herb garden.  about two feet by eleven feet.  Put in some sage, oregano, thyme, rosemary, cilantro,  and other herbs, two tomato plants, and three bell pepper plants.  Had to cover it up last for what I hope will be the last cold spell this spring.  The airport had 38* and Weather Underground had 27* when I got up this AM.  Don't know which was right, maybe both, but if we got the average of the two, that would have been at the freezing mark, not good for just planted herbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment