Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Hike two, day one, ...Going down!

What a day. Dead tired at 2030. I just finished dinner and clean up and set up tent.  Had to rest three hours before that.  What have i gotten it to?

The hike down was very scenic, lots of photos. Six miles to Zeus & Moses.  Saw them and at first didn't realize it was, then it dawned on me how far I had hiked down. 

About a mile later I got in some much needed rest and a Gator Aid punch drink.  Revived, I was ready to go again.  While getting into harness a lady went by on a bike, a group followed not far behind.

Saw a collard lizard, took 25 photos, 2 came out good, rest were just a little blurred.

Got to the river @1500, had to fight my way to the water, filtered about five liters but it still had lots of sediment. 

Started along  White Rim Road, found the wash to follow back up.  Made about one mile from the river, through deep soft sand, and with ten pounds of extra water, it was tough, so I  started looking for a camp site.  Found one around 1645 or so and just collapsed.  Thirteen miles was bad enough, but, to end it with ten extra pounds of water and then trug a mile in deep sugar sand was too much.  Took my shirt off to use as a ground pad and rested thirty minutes before I unrolled the tent and and laid the sleeping pad on top of it.  Three hours before I could set up camp and fix dinner then to bed. Midnight before  was rested enough to go to sleep.  Stars were nice until the moon  came up to dimmed them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment