Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

 While doing a 2.5 training hike (walk) the other day I came up with the idea that I should walk the equivalent of the AT during the next year.  Good idea until I started doing some quick math in my head.  To do that, I would have to walk/hike six miles/day for 364 days!  Not going to happen!  I will try to get in 10 miles/week for starters, maybe 15 by the end with some overnights, weight, and, elevation gain training when I have the chance!  

I made and tested two more CatCan stoves yesterday.  All the same basic design but with 1/2 and 1/4 the number of holes, thinking I could use one for a "simmer" stove.  Didn't work out very well, maybe I need smaller hole?  Will experiment more as time go. 

I also picked up a "WalMart" 1-1/2 qt aluminum grease strainer for a test cooking pot!  Didn't work, it turned out to too big and dissipated the heat to the air too quickly.  Smaller would have been better!  But, after that I have decided to get the 600 ml (20 ozs)  Titanium cooking pot in stead of the 900 ml one.  So the money spent will be "recovered" with the smaller pot, and, it will be lighter to carry as well.  3.4 oz vs. 4.1 oz!    Quick math shows that as 1,526 ounce miles, or 95 pound miles!


H.



 Interesting notes from 2011 attempted thru hikes

 from                     http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail/2000-milers


Northbound (Georgia to Maine)
1,700       started,         Springer Mt., GA 

   849         50%           made it to        Harpers Ferry, W. VA       1,015 miles 

   414       24.4%          made it to        Katahdin, Maine,              2,181 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment