Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Saturday, March 3, 2012

So I've decided to take a Hike

I decided to do a thru hike of the Appalachian Trail, a 2,178 mile hike from Northern Ga. to Maine! I must be crazy!

                                                           

It is too late to plan for this year for an early start, and, waiting until my 65th birthday would be too late to start. I have penciled in 21 MAR 13 for a "Start with Spring" start the Appalachian Trail hike! Something I have wanted to do since I first heard of it in 1970! Almost did it in '99 but got sidetracked going to AK. I am in excellent health and the only barrier I can see would be physiological!

My trail name will be Two Stix, at least for the start. When training for the '99 hike, I used two pieces of PVC pipe as hiking sticks. When talking with someone in the neighborhood, he said, "Oh, you're the one I see walking with two sticks!". I liked it, and was going to use it then but never made the hike.

I ordered a subscription to Back Packer magazine yesterday, $12, let the spending begin!

Not much accomplished to date, just a lot of thinking and a little research! I will try keep this blog up to date as much as possible, but I do let it go a little as you can see form the last posting.

A lot has happened since then. I just looked, December 2009, over two years between post, Wow. I promise to do better!

Since the last post I have two additional grandchildren, for a total of three! Nekio Jane (Almost 6)and Robert Joad (almost 2) are Lee's children, Malati Norah is Aaron's born this past January! The summer of '10 we made a four month RV trek to AK. It was a great adventure!

I have been researching gear and prep tips, food to carry, and reading a few journals of hikers. I am looking to buy the new Nikon Coolpix S9300 some time after it is released and the price has dropped a little, or at least refurbished one become available. I am also considering an Iphone, or at least a Smart Phone for my posting and internet access for the six month duration of the hike. Jim always said, "You need to be smarter than the equipment you operate!", so maybe I should stick with my Dumb Phone, after all, how smart can it be to take off on a 2,200 mile walk through the woods at 66 years old!

No comments:

Post a Comment