Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Survival Gear

Went to Phoenix over the weekend after we woke up to 5" of snow and no power.  Shopped Sportsman Warehouse, REI, and Cabela's.   Bought some SmartWool ($11) thin hiking socks and a pair of zip off hiking pants (clearance $24). Trial hike with the socks felt a little loose and my feet moved around a little so I laced my shoe a little tighter and all was fine.

Was able to look at, touch, and feel a lot of stuff.  Liked the Big Agnes one and two person light weight tents, and the Therm-o-rest Neo air sleeping pad.  Still couldn't get the feel for the backpacks and sleeping bags.

I received the ParaCord ($8) that I ordered earlier and made a couple of  Survival Belt.

                                                 Made a before and after (the hike) version!

 Inner one is four loops per and the outer one is three.  Will go with the three model as it has about 50 ft of cord and that should be enough and will be ~75% of the weight.  Just have to find the right buckle.   As I lose weight on the hike, it can be "unraveled," as needed to fit my new slimmer, trimmer, leaner body!!

No comments:

Post a Comment