Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Carrying the load!

02MAR13

I have been walking four miles each day with my pack.  I did two days with 18+ pounds, and two days with 23+ pounds.  Amazing the difference five pounds make!  Will add another five pounds in the next few days.  My aim it just to get my muscles used to the load and elevation gain so they will not get so sore when I start the trail.  I'm counting on getting my trail legs and building up my stamina in the first two to three weeks on the trail itself. 

  Not many days left until I head to PHX on the 11th then fly to ATL on the 12th, and start my hike on  the 13th.  I have twelve boxes of food that weight in at around ten pounds each ready for drop shipping and one box full in my pack.  Just have to get the kitchen and clothing in the pack and it's ready to go.

Been working getting things at home ready for my departure.  I sprayed Weed Impede today.  We get very little rain here and the only things that grow are the weeds.  We have gravel around the house, or what I like to call Arizona Sod.  Helps keep the dust under control, but the weeds come up very quickly because of the mulching effect and retaining what little moisture there is. 

Our domestic water tank is topped of and I will do that again just before leaving and leave a load on the trailer that M can transfer after two or three weeks.  If she need more water she can have a tank full hauled in and that should last until I get home.

Everything seems to be coming together for an on time departure.  Now if the government can just keep the shy from falling until after my flight to ATL everything should go as scheduled!

H

No comments:

Post a Comment