Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Saturday, March 23, 2013
Destination: Tray Mountain Shelter
Starting Location: Unicoi Gap
Today's Miles: 5.70 Trip Miles: 40.22





 Got a good night sleep and up early so decided to hit the trail. Still not in top form, but couldn't lay out too long.   Mailed my solar panel home just before catching the shuttle to Unicoi gap and hiked the first two hours up hill and in the rain.  I plan to hike to Dicks Fork Gap in two days and back to Hiawassee for more recovery time. Made it to Tray Mtn shelter. Cooked and got settled in with a nice fire. Heavy rain in the night, just glad I did not tent. Not completely over the cold, but feeling much better! (I decided not to go all the way back to Tesnatee gap, so I have about 15 miles of yellow blase (hitching)  to confess to. It is my hike after all.)  

Shelter was crowed and the storms s came right after dark. But I was back on the trail.


 "All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments:

Post a Comment