Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tuesday, March 19, 2013
 Destination: Tesnatee Gap hwy 348
 Starting Location: Neels Gap
Today's Miles: 4.40 Trip Miles: 34.52




Icarus


I was feeling pretty good this morning so I headed out on the trail on a cold and frosty morning.  The rain had ended overnight.  After an hour or I started feeling rough and it got worse all day from my cold. I took a zero yesterday and so I wanted to get back on the trail and moving north.

This is the hardest 4 miles for me yet. Could not eat much and was very weak. Chris (Icuras) caught up with me as I reached the first summit. He knew I wasn't eating much and gave me some orange juice and a pastry that I could get down without much problem and gain a little energy.

He stuck with me until he knew I could make it to the next highway and get a ride into a town for a room, then he hiked on ahead.  When he reached the highway and met a couple of trail angles he told them I was on my way and in need of help and asked them to wait for me.  He waited for a while, then back tracked up the trail and met me, told me someone was waiting to help me, took my backpack and carried it down down the mountain to the highway.  He saved my butt for sure.

Very nice room in a resort town of Helen, GA for $35 with off season hiker discount, the nicest room for the price that I have ever stayed in. Walked across the street for a Wendy's burger and milk shake. Feeling really rough so am not moving around very much, just laying on the bed and resting.


"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments:

Post a Comment