Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Can trees move?

Saturday, April 13, 2013
 Destination: Gatlinburg
Starting Location: Derrick Knob Shelter
 Today's Miles: 10.10 Trip Miles: 187.32











The highlight of the day was walking into a tree. So concentrating on the trail that I didn't see it leaning at a 45* angle across the trail. My hat's brim also blocked my view and BAM, top of my head right into the tree. Next thing I know, I'm sitting on my butt! I just sat there and laughed at myself for a minute or so. Now to get up with my pack on, not an easy task, nor is it a pretty site to watch! Fortunately, there were no spectators around! 

Something seemed crazy with the altimeter. I know I did the 500 foot climb, but the altimeter said I had not, so I readjusted the altimeter to my way of thinking and continued on... right up a 500 foot climb, so, I re-readjusted the altimeter again!

Made it to Clingmens Dome an caught a ride heading for Gatlinburg for the night, sharing a room with Laura and Charlie at the Grand Prix. Saved me having to my own room so I treated them to dinner at Texas Road House. I had the ribs and they were great. Charles bought the beer. May take another zero tomorrow depending on the rides back to the trail and need more rest.

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments:

Post a Comment