Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Saturday, April 20, 2013

No rain today!

Saturday, April 20, 2013
Destination: Brown Gap
Starting Location: Standing Bear Hostel
Today's Miles: 9.80 Trip Miles: 238.92

Up ant by nine and did 9.6 miles to Brown Gap after a Jinny Dean Sausage and coffee.  My resupply and bunk  total came to $42 and I'm not sure that was right.  Could have been off in either direction.  My hiking genes have been  dominate and my analytical genes have been edging toward recessive  since being on the trail and I wasn't thinking very well this morning.





I have seen these structures in the west before but did not know what they were.  As I approached I noticed a sign stating they belonged to the U.S.  Department of Transportation.  Later I heard some one mention the FAA, and then it was clear.  They are used to track aircraft via their transponder units.  (That's what I think, anyway.)



 


Praywalker left the hostel at least thirty minutes before  I did, but I caught up with her on top of Snow Bird Mountain just after passing the FAA unit. She had been there for while because she found a cell signal and was updating her journal and uploading photos and videos, otherwise I can't keep up with her.




We hike together for a while and later we camped together. After getting to Brown Gap and setting up camp then fixing and eating dinner I was getting chilly so climbed into my sleeping bag.  It wasn't dark yet, but, close enough.  A couple join us soon after and set up for camp.

 Note: Was awakened by a loud "ROLL OVER" from PrayerWalker's tent around midnight. The guy in the third tent must have been snoring very loud, she said it wasn't me, and I didn't hear it. PW had not gotten a good night sleep for the last two nights because of loud snoring and just couldn't take it any more.  I laughed about it the next morning!


 "All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien



No comments:

Post a Comment