Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Monday, April 15, 2013

Happy Tax Day!

Monday, April 15, 2013
Destination: Ice Water Springs shelter
Starting Location: Gatlinburg
Today's Miles: 10.60 Trip Miles: 197.92

Had breakfast Buffet @ Bennett's.  Good food. Back to the room and packed up everything and could not find my head lamp so I picked up one at the outfitters before getting on the shuttle.

Got to clingmans Dome and on the trail around 11:30 and was on my way.  Meet some hikers at Indian Gap and a little later at New Found Gap (NFG) where they were debating going into Gatlinburg.  When I mentioned that I had eaten at Texas Road House she said, "I'm going to Gatlinburg!"







 At NFG I saw the interp board or new versions of the ones I had seen way back in 1970. The ones that introduced me to the Appalachian Trail for the first time.

 With the late start and having to make a half mile hike/climb up to the trail (that did not count) 10.6 miles put me at the shelter just after dark so it was good that I bought the new head lamp. I used the lamp the last 200 yards, just for safety. Set up and go to bed without any supper.

Found my lost head lamp rolled up in the sleeping bag, will have to send it home. The new one has a red lamp feature which other hikers will appreciate.


 "All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments:

Post a Comment