Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Not another cold?

Sunday, April 21, 2013
Destination: Bluff Mountain tent site
Starting Location: Brown Gap
Today's Miles: 12.40 Trip Miles: 251.32







Had plans to meet up Prawerwalker at Kale Gap and saw in a the shelter log just before there that she was over an hour ahead of me.  I stopper for a rest and did a 0.2 mile side trail for water refill.  When  I got to Kale Gap and did not find her I knew she was having a good day and hiked on.

I hiked on myself and made it half way up Bluff Mountain before stopping to set up camp.  This would put me within eleven miles of Hot Springs, which should be an  easy hike since I have already done a lot of the elevation gain for Bluff Mountain and once I reach the summit it would be an easy down hill as that part would not be too steep.

At the base of the mountain, just after Lemon Gap, I spotted some wild onions and thought they would go good with my Red Beans and Rice for tonight's dinner so I started gathering a few.   As it turned out, I ate a no-cook dinner as I was too tired to cook.  Didn't think the onions would go well with peanut butter and Pop Tarts, so they ended up being tossed!

During the night last night I felt scratching in my throat and I knew that I had picked up another cold,  from Standing Bear Hostel this time, and it is slowly beginning to effect my speed a little as the day wears on.  I figure that I still have at least one more good day of hiking, before the cold has very much effect on my speed and stamina, and that will get me to Hot Springs..  I will have to zero there  to deal with the cold and hopefully get it under control early.



 "All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments:

Post a Comment