Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Smoky Mountains National Park

Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Destination: Birch Spring Gap camping area
Starting Location: Fontana Hilton
Today's Miles: 6.00 Trip Miles: 159.42



Up at sunrise and out by nine to do six miles into the GSMNP. Lots of rules to go by in the park and I knew I couldn't do 12 miles today so I settled in early. Upper 70s and 10 lbs extra food made for tough hiking so I just took my time and rested a lot.

Running low on water, I spotted a little puddle spring so I stopped an topped off. Half mile later a good stream was running across the trail. Oh, well, I didn't know! At one point I just dropped my pack, laid down on a big rock, and rested for 30 minutes. I was dead tired by the time to to start setting up the tent. This is only the second time for the tent. I did get a good night sleep and much needed rest. Note to self, "Trail food is getting really, really bad. Must do something about that!"



 "All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments:

Post a Comment