Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Monday, April 1, 2013

Monday, April 01, 2013
Destination: Franklin, NC
Starting Location: Long branch shelter
Today's Miles: 7.30 Trip Miles: 90.72





 
Got to Winding Stair Gap and US64 and the second vehicle stopped for me and drove me to Budget Inn. What a country! Hike seemed harder today for some reason. Walked down the street for Domino's pizza and it was great!

Did not do a lot in town today, that can wait until tomorrow.  Now I need my rest!

Meet Woodstock and Cook-n again, Cook-n was doing a zero to give his blisters time to heal a little.  Saw a few other hikers, so I know, some I did not!

Just a not on the sign post photo.  I took a lot of photos of sign post.  Not for sentimental reasons, but to help me keep track of where I was on the trail at any given time.  If I had doubts of where I was, and this happened a often, I would check the time stamp on sign post photo to see how long I had been hiking from that point, and could get a rough estimate of where I was on the trail.  I would have to allow for elevation gains or losses for my hiking speed. 

The only thing I had for a map was a elevation profile of the trail showing miles, elevation gains and losses. and features/places names  on the trail.  I also carried an altimeter to show my current elevation, and this was immensely valuable.   I just had to remember to calibrate it daily. Margaret bought it a few years ago and during the cold weather, the battery finaly gave up and had to be replaced.


"All that is gold does not glitter,
  Not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments:

Post a Comment