Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Hilton

Tuesday, April 09, 2013
Destination: Fontana Hilton
Starting Location: Cable Gap Shelter
 Today's Miles: 6.00 Trip Miles: 153.42

Can you find the hidden lake?
Fontana Lake


 Up and out by 9:45. Arrived at the marina, a mile shy of the Hilton, and called the resort shuttle for a lift to P.O. and the General store for mail drop, a little resupply (mostly day snacks) and do laundry.  There was a $3.00 charge per head, but it was worth it.

When I stepped on the porch, people started talking about my Jacobs Ladder episode and trying to give me a new name but I would have none of it. I just called them wimps for only doing it once! Damn, I was going the wrong way!

Messed around a little more talking with the others, breaking down my food drop, eating snacks, and then caught the shuttle back to the trail and had one more mile to do before the Hilton. A 10lb food drop can add about 20 lbs to your pack weight, or so it seems.

There was a crowd at the shelter but most tented so the shelter was nearly empty. A few hikers were heading out around 10 pm to start a night hike into Smoky Mountain National Park.  Tomorrow I enter the Smokies.

 "All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments:

Post a Comment