Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sweet Tea, anyone!

Sunday, April 07, 2013
Destination: Brown Fork Shelter
Starting Location: Sassafrass Gap Shelter
 Today's Miles: 9.00 Trip Miles: 141.32


Cheoah Bald Marker.  How can I calibrate my altimeter with this?
Cheoah Bald
Dressed for hiking!

Tough nine miles today. When I came to  NC143 I found a nice picnic area with tables and a parking lot and took this opportunity to rest for a while. I was very low on water with no source near by, so when two ladies drove into the parking lot I walked over, with my best Yogi* face,  and asked if they had any extra water.  They did not, but they did have a big cup of sweet tea from McDonals, (you know you are in the South when people offer you sweet tea).  I don't like sweet tea but gladly accept it with much appreciation, and I could use the extra calories.  I drank sweet tea while growing up in Kentucky and switched to non sweetened as an adult

I meet Tore Knos, a Swede a little younger than me and he snapped the above photo of me.

 The day ended with a long climb up Jacob's ladder, a seemingly strait up climb of several hundred feet elevation gain. I don't the trail maintainers here are familiar with switchbacks...  And did I mention that I hate long climbs late in the day?

*Yogi - verb, to beg for food without it being obvious.  Origin: The cartoon character Yogi Bear

 "All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments:

Post a Comment