Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (C) Harold Dossett, 2013

Monday, April 8, 2013

Jacobs Ladder, Part Deux

Monday, April 08, 2013
Destination: Cable Gap Shelter
Starting Location: Brown Fork Shelter
Today's Miles: 6.10 Trip Miles: 147.42



Looking for the trail!
Is easy here...
But,can you find it here?
 Hint, look for the hiking pole scratch marks on the rocks.

 The day started out great! Up at seven, out by eight! The hiking was great!  There seemed to be a lot of South Bound hikers this morning for some reason.  When Jacobs Ladder was mentioned, I told them that they were not there yet and warned them of the steep climb.  I continue hiking for an hour or so and then I saw some power lines that I recognized!!! Damn! Was I  going the wrong way? Waited for a hiker to come by and confirm my suspicions, and damn, I was going the wrong way!  I got turned around and headed north again with Jacobs Ladder ahead.

I stopped for a break and to text try to contact Tore, with whom I was to share a room tonight, left voice mail and sent a text. Up and on my way again and doubt suddenly set in... "Was I going the wrong way again?"  So I stopped and waited for another to confirm or relieve my fears and before long a familiar face, Whirled Peas, came along and convinced me that I was going north.  What a relief! I had planned to make it to Fontana Dam tonight, but damn, I was going the wrong way.

So,it was back up Jacobs Ladder again. But I have to say that it was much easier earlier in the day! I ended up back at Brown Fork Shelter around noon and stopped there again to have lunch and resupply my water and change my plans for making it to Fontana Dam tonight.  I made it to Cable Gap Shelter, which was familiar.  This is where I hiked to last year on one of my training hikes when I came east to visit family.  Later, the Hart family arrived, and there were a number of new faces.  Taylor had acquired a trail name, Pink Panther, for her love of  pink!

So, 11.1 mile only count for 6.1 official miles but I will add five miles to my hiking credit... Damn, I was going the wrong way. But, I refuse to change my trail name!

 "All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments:

Post a Comment